Your Saliva Tells a Story
Did you know the amount of saliva you produce is a health indicator? That’s right, having enough saliva maximizes your oral health! Usually, the body makes about 2 to 4 pints of saliva a day, which:
- Keeps your mouth moist, allowing you to comfortably communicate
- Helps you chew, taste, and swallow
- Actively fights germs and bad breath
- Contains proteins and minerals that protect your teeth and prevent decay and gum disease
Minimal Saliva, Major Issues
But what happens when we lack the proper amount of saliva? This issue, known as chronic dry mouth, is a common condition Panorama Dental helps patients treat. Usually, dry mouth is a symptom caused by medication although there are other factors that can cause dry mouth such as:
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Blockage or structural issue with your salivary ducts
- Mouth breathing
Medication that can cause chronic dry mouth include:
- Appetite suppressants
- Allergy drugs
- Blood pressure medications
- Pain medication
- Antidepressant and anxiety medications
Before taking medication, consult with your doctor or pharmacist about the possible side effects.
Let Panorama Dental Help
If you suffer from chronic dry mouth, there are ways you can practice producing saliva, like remaining hydrated, chewing gum, and sucking on a sugar-free candy.
If your solution persists, it may be time to give Panorama Dental a call. We are ready to alleviate your situation by offering a variety of solutions!