Root Canal Treatment in a Comfortable Setting
If you are having persistent tooth pain, then it might be time to seek the help of your dentist. A dentist may decide to refer you to an endodontist, a dentist who specializes in saving teeth through different procedures that involve the pulp (nerve) and root of teeth. The most common endodontic procedure is a root canal.
Do I Need a Root Canal?
While it’s best to consult with your dentist on whether or not you may need a root canal, the following are some common indicators that you may need one.
- Serious tooth pain (especially when eating or putting pressure on the area)
- Teeth sensitivity to hot and cold
- Darkening of the tooth
- Tenderness or swelling in the gums near a bothersome tooth
Getting a Root Canal
While the thought of a root canal may be frightening, it is a very common procedure. Endodontists go through extra schooling and certification to ensure they are able to handle root canals and other endodontic procedures. In many cases a dentist can complete a root canal, but in some more complicated situations, an endodontist may step in.
The process of getting a root canal generally follows these steps and can be completed by either a dentist or endodonist based on the severity of the case:
- The dentist will take x-rays to assess the damage to the tooth.
- The dentist will administer local anesthetic to numb the area and prevent any discomfort.
- The dentist then makes an opening in the crown of the tooth and uses tools to clean out decayed pulp.
- Depending on the particular patient, the dentist may leave the tooth open to drain before it is filled or sealed, or they may put a temporary filling in the tooth.
Schedule an Appointment With an Endodontist
Panorama Dental has all of the dental specialists on staff to make visits to our office a one-stop process. We have a certified endodontist on staff who works closely with our dentists to ensure you get personalized treatment. Call our Aurora dental office at 303-755-8388 or fill out an appointment request form to schedule an appointment today!